Remembering Mac Miller


Last night I was scrolling through Instagram when I came across this picture of Mac and I instantly liked it, without even reading the caption entirely. I continued scrolling and then it hit me that the caption stated Mac Miller was dead at just 26. I couldn't believe it, I have never met Mac Miller but I loved his music and his character. I can't say I was the biggest fan but he was important to me. 

I discovered him at a time in my life, where I felt hopeless, I was 16 years old when I came across 'Best Day Ever' on YouTube. I had never heard of Mac until that song and then that was it for me. I became obsessed, for a while, even buying his Mac Miller The High Life merch and constantly talking about him. He was the first white rapper since Eminem that I connected with on a musical and spiritual level. It's crazy to think that even though I have never met him, never went to one of his live shows (because I don't like in the US) I still felt like I knew him in a way.

After a while of constantly listening to Mac, I stopped. 

I never understood why but I just didn't connect to him like I used to, it was weird. Although this never stopped me from supporting him, I would still listen to his new albums but I didn't have the same feeling I used to. Until he dropped 'The Devine Feminine' it was like this brand new Mac, who was finally happy. It was a pivotal moment in his career where all of the sudden people were finally appreciating what he could do. He was an artist.

I wanted to put together some of my favourite Mac tracks, so you can listen and hopefully appreciate them as much as I do.

1. Missed Calls

2. Best Day Ever


3. 2009


4. Brand Names


5. Thoughts from a Balcony


6. Dang!


7. Self Care


8. Cinderella


9. Party On Fifth Ave.


10. Perfect Circle



It's heartbreaking and devastating to lose another incredibly talented young artist to mental health and drug issues. I wish we could be more open about what we're going through and I wish people would stop passing judgement onto those struggle. No one knows what's going through someone else's mind, except for that person. So be kind, be patient and be present.

RIP Mac Miller 

Thank you for the music and leaving us this beautiful NPR Tiny Desk Concert


xcv95

No comments:

Post a Comment